Are You Prepared if Disaster Strikes?
May 5 is Wildfire Preparedness Day. Protecting your home by staying up-to-date on your insurance policy is more important than ever. Make sure your family is financially prepared by following these simple steps:
- Conduct an Annual Insurance Check Up: Call your agent or insurance company annually to discuss your policy limits and coverage.
- Know What Your Policy Covers: Different policies work differently. Ask your insurance agent what kind of coverage you have in the event of a total loss.
- Update Your Policy to Cover Home Improvements: If your insurer doesn’t know about changes, improvements like new countertops, floors, or additional rooms may not be covered if you must rebuild.
- Maintain Insurance: If your home is paid off, be sure to maintain homeowners insurance.
- Get Renters Insurance: Many insurers bundle renters insurance coverage with an auto insurance policy at affordable prices.
- Make a Home Inventory: Use your smartphone to create a video that documents the contents of your home before a fire occurs.